Why choose OCCS as your sponsor?
As one of the original sponsors (aka, authorizers) of charter schools in Ohio and one of the largest in terms of both schools and student enrollment, OCCS has a wealth of experience and a strong leadership team to help you open a new school. We have 15 years of experience in partnering successfully with charter school start-ups, with staff who have been leaders of the charter school movement in Ohio since its very beginning in the late 1990s. We are also the largest sponsor of e-schools in Ohio.
- One of the initial two authorizers written into Ohio law
- Designee of University of Toledo – one of the only such partnerships between a sponsor and a university in the state of Ohio (and subsequently, a strong focus on higher education)
- High commitment to quality, with respect for school autonomy
- Strong strategic partnerships with schools, management companies, University of Toledo, community groups, and others
- Regional representatives on staff, who live within 50 miles of each school and work on-the-ground with you and your team
- Highly trained, experienced staff, with expertise in:
- Academics, curriculum, testing, and use of data
- Fiscal oversight and reporting
- Special education
- Public policy/legislation
Need more information about applying to OCCS for sponsorship?
Click on the below timeline and application documents to learn more about our process for applying to open a school.
The window for applying to open a new school in 2017-18 is closed.
Key documents for applying to open a new school in 2017-18
For more information, contact Vice President of Contracts and Advocacy Jason Wall at Jason@ohioschools.org.
For schools wishing to transfer sponsorship, please see our transfer application posted below.
Documentation for Establishing Non-Profit Status – The websites below detail the process of applying for recognition by the IRS of exempt status under section 501(c)(3) of the Code: